October 13th, 2013 – San Diego Bay

I took advantage of a nice morning for a change of pace and an easier trip by seeking out bay bass in San Diego bay.


I decided to take advantage of a small tide window in the morning.  My last trips had been offshore and a calm bay run where I could run the engine seemed like a nice call.  My motor (Yamaha F115) really likes to be run hard, but that can be hard offshore when conditions are up.

I put the boat in a little past sunrise around 7am and headed for the back bay.  The tide was just starting to turn out.  I stopped at what I call admiral row for a few lizard fish and conditions that just seemed off.  Then I headed south to the flats past the bridge.  In 9-12′ of water I found plenty of spotties.  Most were in the 8-11″ range with a few dinks.  After two drifts here for maybe 15 fish, I headed a little further south to the shallows just off where the car carrier comes in.  Here I found some larger fish in the 13-18′ depth range, but the water was getting stagnant and was dirty.  I also noticed some oil coming off the engine.  I couldn’t tell if it was the water or the engine.  I decided to move toward the Coast Guard station to see how things were there.  The water was much cleaner, but the tide was clearly down.  I caught one tiny sandbass that was worth a picture.  I also noticed that the oil was from my engine, so I called it a day around 10:30.


A pretty standard bay session.  I didn’t count, but about 15-20 spotties, one tiny sandbass and two lizard fish that just wouldn’t let go.  All on small plastics; 3/8 oz darter leadhead to either a AAA curry tail or 3-4″ paddle tail.  6# flour leader to normal bay rigs.

Worlds Smallest Sandbass



The bay was super calm and ideal to run the motor hard after a lot of offshore trips in rougher water.  The water at Shelter Island launch ramp was about 67 and as I headed under the Coronado bridge, I saw 70.


A weak tide, but enough with the water still being warm.

San Diego Tides for 2013-10-13


The morning was overcast, but not cold.  A very pleasant morning on the water.


Personally, this is the best my back has felt since the surgery.  That made me happy.

I’ve found a bit of an oil leak in the motor.  My theory is that it is from the lugging it does offshore and how it makes oil then.  This trip I got the chance to run it hard, so some of that would have been pushed out.  Time to check on that.

Engine hours at end of day: 646.4

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *